Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 273

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

DAREDEVIL #1 COVER. 2013.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

Remember when Daredevil relaunched? (No, the time after that.) I provided a variant cover for the issue, and these are the photos that went into its creation. I often take several photos to get the right "feel" for a character, and in this case I even had a second session in the midst of drawing (as evidenced by my beard density).


2014 Baton Champion!

Because of a snafu somewhere in the production chain, what ended up being printed was the raw inks. I was fine with that, though, and ended up liking the colorless version better (though some red on DD would've been even better).


Black and white version
Inks by my Old Man


Pencils over digital sketch
Digital Sketch

















Digital Layouts

2 comments :

  1. This Wacky Reference should be used as academic credit in a design school, great work, the central pic in the digital layout pic would be another great cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! That background took me a while, that's for sure.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.